CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 19, 2008

Great Things Can Happen at Savers

I went to Savers this week to get a few things for a scene we are doing in my Advanced Theater class. When I walked in I noticed there was only one cashier. I shopped for a minute, grabbed my stuff and realized I only had about ten mintues until my class started. I walked up to check out and the cashier was gone. The manager called her two times to come to her register. There were three of us in line. When she finally came you could tell she had been crying. I felt bad for her, thinking she may have gotten into trouble. The first lady went through and didn't say anything to her. I thought, "If I get the chance I have to say something." So then it was my turn. She said, "How are you today?" And I said good. Then I said, "How are YOU?" And she started to cry. Sob, acutally. I asked her if she was okay and she said,"I am better than okay. I gave up my two children for adoption 18 months ago, and my daughter's new mom just brought her in to see me." I was stunned. And overwhelmed as I could see how emotional it was for her. She went on to say that she had been in an abusive marriage and the only way to get away from her husband and to save her children was to give them up. Can you even imagine?! In order to save her children, she had to let them go. So the father couldn't get to them. I had more respect and admiration for this woman than I can even tell you. I almost started to cry with her. She kept talking and I asked if her daughter recognized her. She said no, but that was okay. Hard, but okay. The little girl had brought her flowers. I felt like I was treading on sacred ground. This bond between mother and daughter. I felt so much peace knowing that in the life to come, they will have time to be together, to know each other. And that baby will realize what her mother did for her. When I walked away, she said, "Have a good day. And thank you for listening." I told her I was honored, and to have a good day too. She replied with, I already have."

4 comments:

Amylee said...

Wow. You are so inspired. Thank you for not ignoring her. I'm sure you were her angel. What an inspiring story. What an incredible woman. (PS- I'm leaving to come see you right now!)

Clyda and John said...

I had just finished typing Bennett's birth mother an e-mail and sending her some pictures, when I read your blog post. These women are AMAZING people and I wish more people could understand just what they do for their children. Thanks for sharing the story.

Love Emma Watson said...

That is so sweet and it made my day! Well I am very impressed that she was willing to just share her story to someone she doesent even know! I love you so much u are a great example

Erin said...

Andra, if anyone was meant to be there for her it was you! It makes me think I need to be more open to those around me. How's Advanced this year? Are they getting so excited for Festival?